Monday, May 31, 2010

Fairy or Toad Houses

I am embarrassed that I haven’t done this sooner.  I do an article for Clarksville Family Magazine each month featuring a family friendly craft for families to do together.  The month of May I walked through steps to make Fairy or Toad Houses for your garden. 

In the article, I say I will have many more photos on the blog so check it out.  Well, I am embarrassed to say I am just now getting the MAY issues photos up.  I had to have a customer email me asking for more info to get me moving.  SO – here is the project. (sorry for the delay!!).  Come back in a couple of days for June’s article

 

My kids love the new movies with TinkerBell in them – they are always pretending to be flying around like Tink does with her friends. They can never decide which fairy they want to be today! They also always get excited when I take them craft shopping with me; imagining what miniature items would be perfect size for Tink and her friends. So, when coming up with this month’s craft idea, I wanted to combined their current passion with an outdoor craft. So, a home for TInk and her friends seemed to fit the need! And for those boys out there – just imagine they are frog homes instead of fairies.

This craft starts with a wonderful nature walk with the kids, and what you collect will help to create as many fairy homes as your imagination allows! Follow just a few of these steps – then kick in with your own ideas!

Supplies Needed:

· Nature items

· Acrylic paint

· Plastic bottles – 2 liters, juice bottles, etc

· Hot glue gun & glue

· Small buttons, burlap pieces, etc

Step 1 – Go on a nature walk and collection all kinds of small items that you find. Here are just a few ideas for you: pinecones, tree bark, sticks, acorns, moss, beechnut shells, “helicopter” maple seeds, dried flowers, sea shells and more. Once home, spread out all your items on a table to take inventory of what you have.

Step 2 – Cut the bottom of the plastic bottle off, making it flat so you can stand it up on its end. Then cut out a rectangle doorway for the fairy or frog to enter.

Step 3 - Paint the inside of the bottle with an earth tone color that will work with the design you have in mind.

Step 4 – Once the paint inside is completely dry, you can start adding the items in any pattern/design you like. Use the hot glue gun to apply the items to your bottle.

Step 5 – Let your fairy or frog house dry overnight before moving it or placing outside.

Step 6 – watch out for indications you have a tenant in your home.

1 comment:

  1. I made sure to get a copy of the Clarksville Family Magazine that this was in. Nicely done, Kendall! :)

    ReplyDelete